Tuesday, January 12, 2010

hi there

H.

1. Hugs. you don't know much they mean until you don't get them often. living alone and working when not alone does not create an environment for a lot of them. but i do have some good friends/co-workers who understand the importance. the sideways hug is weak, you can be non-gropey (word?) and have a face to face hug.

2. Handel's Messiah. oh my goodness. the entire thing is heaven. the "Comfort ye, comfort ye my people" always brings tears to my eyes, and nothing makes you feel as victorious as the Hallelujah chorus. I once had a running list of songs I felt God would have played at the end of the age....I think this is one of them.

3. hair. i have a love/hate relationship with mine, but i'm thankful for it. I really happen to like curly hair the most. i hope to have children one day with adorably curly hair (color is of no consequence to me). i'm not that great at coming up with things to do with mine, but i have visions....visions of styles and accessories.

4. home-cooked meals. as much as i like trying out new restaurants, there is nothing like a home cooked meal. my childhood is full of memories of sunday dinners at home and actually, up until high school, when we are all pulled in different directions, nightly dinners around the table with my family. we'd chat about the day, all help set the table, and all clean up after it was over. the creme de la creme are the holiday dinners. in my newly "living on my own" chapter, i really have enjoyed the times i've cooked dinner for/with people i care about wherever I might be. haven't done that yet up here...granted, the timing hasn't worked out....and i live a bit far for people to come for dinner. but hopefully in the near future.

5.Hamlet. i really enjoy Shakespeare in general, but this might be one of my favorite tragedies. I remember having to memorize Hamlet's "to be or not to be" soliloquy in Mrs. Jones accelerated english class in high school. I still remember a large portion of it. phrases such as "something is rotten in the state of Denmark" are quite handy in a multitude of situations.
you might get a post of a few of Bill's sonnets shortly.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Handels Messiah and Home cooked meals - ditto!