Monday, April 4, 2011

a sick-cycle carousel

Lifehouse had a song about this very thing back in the early 2000s. I am currently reading Judges. I'm struck by the fact that as a kid in a Christian school, I was always irritated by the cyclical stupidity of the Israelites. Idolatry--punishment---repentence--righteous living---idolatry, and so on and so forth.

But then I grew up. And I realized that i am just as stupid as the Israelites. my own pride and self-sufficiency--laziness in cultivating my relationship with God--conviction/condemnation/guilt/frustration at myself--repentence--doing it "right' for a period of time---self sufficiency and pride.

gross. I don't want to be on this ride. I want to always fully rely on God and honor him with my life and not be bogged down by my own dumb ways.

1 comment:

Allie, Dearest said...

I don't know why I didn't see this post when you first wrote it, but this is the conversation I've been having with myself today.