So I adore LM Montgomery. She is the author of the Anne of Avonlea series. I'm rereading for them for fun out of order. I'm currently in the middle of Anne's House of Dreams, and literally laugh aloud at some of the dialogue. without further ado:
"I am an old maid, but you never hear me abusing the men. I like 'em. I would have married one if I could. Is it not funny nobody ever asked me to marry him, Mrs. Doctor, dear? I am no beauty, but I am as good-looking as most of the married women you see. But I never had a beau. What do you suppose is the reason?" -Susan
"It may be predestination." suggested Anne, with unearthly solemnity.
Susan nodded.
"That is what I have often thought, Mrs. Doctor, dear, and a great comfort it is. I do not mind nobody wanting me if the Almighty decreed it so for His own wise purposes. But sometimes doubt creeps in, Mrs. Doctor, dear, and I wonder if maybe the Old Scratch has not more to do with it than anyone else. I cannot feel resigned then. And maybe, I will have a chance to get married yet."
my first advent calendar!
5 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment