Sunday, March 16, 2008

we can do it

as annie said,
"anything you can do, i can do better. i can do anything better than you."

now while i am not even close to being a feminist, i just want to note a disturbing trend among men these days.

maybe it's not a new phenom. maybe it has always existed, but the currently climate of "gender equality" has allowed it to be more freely voiced in frustration.

but this whole disdain for women thing bothers me. ideas of women not being as rational, intelligent, and driven by every emotional whim really irritate and concern me.

i find it somewhat scary to view a whole segment of society as less than your intellectual equal because they wear heels and bleed monthly. (sorry, but i'm not mincing around on this one).

we hear men bellyache about how women want to have their cake and eat it too. we want independence but guaranteed security, we want to stay at home and take care of our children when we want to, but we also want to run for president, own a company, and operate on people. we want a commitment, but we also want our fun. we want to be judged for what's in our heads, and not just what our bodies look like, but if we aren't considered attractive, it's highly offensive. we don't want them to blame our hormones for lapses of judgement, but then we like to blame them for emotional outbursts.

now i will agree. we are walking contradictions. being someone who is fully aware of my tendencies to do obnoxious female things (i.e. want him to know what i want and do it with out verbalizing, getting my feelings hurt or being upset about something but saying i'm fine, being indecisive), i chose on most occasions to do the other option. .....and come to think of it. why are these things obnoxious? just because they are? or because men say they are obnoxious?

i dunno. i guess in a very not eloquent way, i'm trying to say that men are just as weird and neurotic as women. they don't like to admit it, but they are.

1 comment:

Allie, Dearest said...

Sometimes I think I've gotten so used to these stereotypes that I just feed into them. It's a chicken and an egg think. Which came first, the stereotype, or the woman? I don't even know anymore.

I get so irritated when the men I know make all of these statements about the behavior in girls that they simply tolerate in order to get the other things.

Since none of them are "getting" those things from me, I can't help but wonder why they tolerate me. Maybe they don't. It's all very inhumane.

I'm listening to Fionn Regan thanks to you.