Monday, March 22, 2010

Cannot take it anymore.

I loathe discord. Especially when perpetuated by "Christians." Christ said we would be known by our love. Not by how much we fast, what we wear, or how much of the Bible we can recite.

I am saddened because in particular the American church (as it is seen by the world at large) is not only counter to compassion, it is materialistic, more concerned with toeing some political party line or utterly apathetic of the goings on of the world, and lacking in mercy.
Now before I get my reader riled up, I know that the true Body of Christ us stealthily at work. The wheat among the tares, bringing the Kingdom of Heaven to earth. But this is just embarassing.
Tacky abuse of leaders, when there should be prayer, hands pointing out fault, instead of getting dirty to help others. Picketing abortion clinics instead of mentoring at risk youth or adopting. Full of envy and malice, bur judgemental of those whose sins aren't as easy to hide.
Okay. I'm done.

4 comments:

Allie, Dearest said...

No, seriously.
We Christians pride ourselves on achievement, though most magazines and best-sellers point out the fact that people are dealing with massive stress, anxiety and depression in the middle of it. When things fall apart in our lives we feel extraordinary amount of shame and fear, the price we must pay for having such wonderful lives. We blame ourselves for falling short so it's not a surprise that we scoff and turn around and blame the poor and the degenerate and the disabled with the same finger when they fall short. It's an equal opportunity judgment system here in America.

Then again, we're not called to judgment, of ourselves or of our fellow citizens. We're called to understanding and to prayer.

Instead of giving what we have until we have no more, we consider it robbery to be equal with Warren Buffet and then taper our lives down into the lifestyle of the average man for some far-off kingdom principle that likely won't take effect until we're dead. Even I balk at the thought of trimming away my food budget in order to give to someone in need. Am I really so far from love?

Public policy will come and go and hopefully we'll develop the capacity to finally rise above the melee.

J-Woo said...

Thank you, Britt, for posting this. I am in total agreement. I even posted a blog recently about your facebook status... the one related to healthcare, remember? Anyways, thank you for standing up for compassion.

britta said...

Jessica,

It was complete righteous indignation. I'm going to read your blog now. :-)

J-Woo said...

Oops. I have a new blog... I don't use that old one much anymore. http://jesskatewoodlee.wordpress.com/